Thursday, September 17, 2015

King Valgard and the Ice Titan

Story by Ymir
Retold by Cheyenne Caster




Yes, my friend. Long before, in the times of old, I ruled the vaulting skies. The Tritons ruled the frothing seas, and the Dragons lumbered on land. For some time we existed perfectly, rarely scuttling. But once my people over harvested the water and the Tritons raged in the sea, war broke out between the elements. This war tore apart the land, creating the worlds of the spiral.

When this happened, my domain was split to the many lands. I wandered for years, searching for the greatest home. Zafaria was too hot,  Moo Shu was to regimented, and Avalonians weren't my people.

---

Finally I found a world, two to be exact. Grizzleheim was cool and arid. It's people were fierce and loyal. I deemed it worthy, climbed up to the skies and surveyed my territory. I watched as the Bears, Wolves, and Ravens turned their heads skyward, peering at their new ruler.

Each tribe sent a representative to climb up to my frozen palace. The wolf bounded up the stairs, the raven flew smoothly and the bear ascended carefully. The wolf slipped out when he didn't see the turn, and he fell back the earth. The raven watched in horror, but flew into a wall. Soon the bear remained, slowly making its way up.

The bear finally emerged into my halls, bowing deeply at the sight of me.

"Who are you? I boomed.

"I am Valgard Goldenblade..." He said timidly.

"I am Ymir, the Ice Titan! I rule the vaulting skies in which the North winds blow."

I told him of my struggles and he listened respectively. He told me of the land that floated nearby, known as Wintertusk. I learned that the world is beautiful and inhabited by many things, but know ruler guides them. War breaks out between the many tribes, and the whole world is chaotic.

I asked him if Grizzleheim had a ruler, and he promptly replied with "No."

"Valgard Goldenblade, I name you King of Grizzleheim. I give you command over the three tribes and all the creatures that dare make their home here."

I fashioned him and icy crown, intertwined with branches of the trees and rocks of the ground. I sent him on his way, and watched as the people bowed down.

A hall was constructed in the middle of Grizzleheim, and the people gathered there often. Every tribe got along, and harmony was restored to the land.


---

One day, an unwelcome raven flew into my palace. It's song drew me into a deep sleep. My dreams were full of nightmares, causing me to be surrounded in cold sweat. From this sweat my four sons were born: Nordri, Sudri, Austri, and Vestri.

My royal sons went out the the ever-warring land of Wintertusk and took over. Nordri took the northern part, Sudri took the southern area, Austri took the eastern quarter and Vestri took the west. Under firm rule, the land became peaceful.

More has happened since, but that's another story for a different time.

No comments :

Post a Comment